Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hemlock Finished!

Hemlock Ring is finished blocking. It's dry. It's folded up and ready to be delivered to Tanis.

In the meantime, I can't get the collar right on this sweater. Grrrrr. I'm on my 3rd version. I'm kind of stumped at this point. I'm about to rip out a few rows of this current version to see if that will help things. I tried doubling it and seaming it on the inside but it looked like a ruff. I undid the seam and folded it out like a normal collar and it looked B A D. Just kind of girlie. Then this one. But it's still not right. So I'll try it a few rows shorter....

It's a man's argyle sweater, duh. It doesn't exactly fit on my dress form. The color is correct in the photo above. So once I figure out the collar. I just have to add the button bands and the skinny little triangles that connect the larger triangle. I should be finished in about an hour. If the collar works.

But even with the collar problems, I love this sweater. It's a nice oversized man's sweater. I was going to put in a zipper but I've changed my mind. It's going to have buttons. I'll be making a trip down to M & J to get some awesome ones.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Blocking Hemlock Ring

I finished Hemlock Ring. Yikes!! What a bind off. Buckle in for that one. It takes FOR E VER! But It's finished. And it looks just like it's supposed to!

It's lovely. I would personally prefer something twice as big. I was using a 40" needle at the end and it still could have been longer. Those stitches really add up. I went to the end of the charted pattern. And then did the curly bind off.

Sorry for the picnic effect. I needed something to put between the yarn and the rug while blocking.

I'll take another photo when it's dry. All in all I'm happy. Like I said it's really very easy and quick. I used 2 full skeins of eco wool and knit it up on size 10's. Fast. Easy. Warm. Perfect.

Friday, October 17, 2008

I Can See the Finish Line!

I'm still knitting away on Hemlock Ring. Yesterday I was on round 97...

Today I'm on round 110. I'm only knitting to round 115. Seems like such a small number of rounds left. But I think at this point each round has about 500 stitches. YIKES! I've actually COMPLETED 110 rounds. I'm getting ready to leave for work so the ride downtown will give me another round and a half (maybe). 112 is an increase round. So the last three will be even longer! Then the fancy bind off. I think that's going to have to wait until sunday or monday. I only skimmed the directions but it's kind of like bind off one, knit 7 into 1 stitch, bind off 7....or something like that. It's not just bind off all (gagillion) stitches. What evs.

All in all this is a SUPER EASY knit. I would recommend anyone who wants to take a stab at "lace" to try it out. E A S Y!! And it only really takes a few days to complete.

Tanis knows that I making this for her. I had to ask her how many rounds she knit. So the sooner I get it finished. The sooner she gets it!

On a sad note, I won't be attending Rhinebeck AGAIN this year....It's going to be an absolutely gorgeous weekend. I have to work Saturday night and then host a birthday dinner on Sunday night. So I cancelled. Waaaaaaaa. I REALLY wanted to go this year. Oh well. It's probably better to save my money given the state of the economy right now.

Have a nice weekend. Hopefully I'll have a finished Hemlock Ring next time!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hemlock Ring

I started Hemlock Ring two days ago. Yesterday I realized that I'd made a mistake and ripped the whole thing. I was on row 72. I then cast on again and now I'm on row 77. Obviously it's zipping right along. It's a very easy pattern particularly if you switch it around and follow Brooklyntweed's revised pattern. He basically has it laid out so that each repeat is between markers. The original pattern has the repeats straddling markers. Very odd.

This is the first time that I'm actually using my Stitch Minder. It's pretty cool. As long as I remember to click the round # after each round. It's awesome. But clearly there is a LOT of room for human error. Like, uh, did I mark that round? hmmm.

I'll take a pic of the blanket when I'm finished.

Monday, October 06, 2008

Phwew, that's was a busy few weeks....

I never showed a finished photo of this. It's a little wonky because it's been worn - a few times.

Here's the back. I used seed st. for the collar and button bands. I used short rows to round the collar after about 3" of straing kntting.

It was a total breeze to knit. I made it up as I went along. It was inspired by a cute Marc Jacobs sweater that I saw on someone at work.

I knit this one based on a little shrug someone had on. It opens on the side. I'm waiting on some more yarn (Berroco Pure Merino Heathers) so that I can finish the collar. I'll be ripping out the existing button band and knitting it to include the collar. Therefore I have to knit the collar first and then the bands.

It's going to be an oversized 1x1 ribbed collar. Then the button bands. Then the buttons.

I've been totally insane the past few weeks. With work - the other one. It's KILLING me. But I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I seriously hope it's not a train!

Uh, I think I might have to knit something called Hemlock. Tanis at VK knit one over the past month during her lunch breaks....I told her that I block everything by washing it in my washer (on delicate in cold water)....and she should try it. Well, you guessed it. She did it over the weekend and now her Hemlock is a doilie. It felted. I can't believe it...I feel horrible! So maybe I should just crank one out.