Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Socks for Socktoberfest



So I've had my head in the sand designing like crazy not having time to think about personal knitting stuff. So things like Soctoberfest just didn't have a place to go in my brain. Well, I've had a couple of weeks free and I've been reading about Socktoberfest on peoples blogs and thought why not.... I signed up. Today, October 25th. And I knit these super cute peds for the occassion. I love them. I bought the cashmere the other day thinking I would make them for my mother-in-law. I also thought I would put a cute picot edging on these. But I decided against both. I was reading Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks. It's fantastic. Really. It gave me some great ideas. I cast on and bam. This is what I came up with. Pretty simple, I know but I think they are great. The reason for the two color switch is that each 100yd skein was $15.00. It takes 2 per sock. (15 x 4 = $60.00) Uh, $60 bucks seemed a little excessive for a pair of peds. Even for me!! So, I decided to switch the second sock to use up the yarn from the first sock. Only in reverse. I actually love it. I could totally see some stripe thing happening. And I still have the other 2 skeins left. Yippee!!

I have a question about socks. Why is it that everyone makes socks that hit mid calf? I think this is so unflattering. I guess it has to do with calf shaping but really, I don't think they look so hot. I don't think calf shaping is all that hard. It's like any other shaping - increasing, decreasing. Plus options for fashioning that could look amazing. (note to self - design some awesome calf covering socks with really great fashioning!) I wonder if I'm the only one that feels this way. I only ever wear peds. But it's getting cold so maybe knee highs would be great.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim Carlson said...

Sistah...in-law! Nice blog. In fact, blogalicious! Gorgeous photos--did you really knit all those things? Hehe. Next time you use me as a sweater model, could you use Photoshop for retouching? I look like the Sphinx. And no more comments about the glacial pace at which I knit. We all can't be genius speed-knitters like you. For knitting advice, design, doctoring, etc., you ARE the source...

Since I said all those nice things, can I get me a pair of those fancy Socktoberfest foot warmers? I know, you'll hand me the pattern and tell me to get started. I KNEW I never shoulda started knitting...

luv ya!

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home