Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Full Disclosure...

Remeber this...




I said it was maybe for my mom (mabye for me)? Well the real story is this. My Sister-in-law bought some Manos Stria two summers ago. She was going to make a sweater out of it but didn't know what she wanted. So we talked a little and I said I would write a pattern for her. So I took the yarn and did the required swatch. And sketched out a little pattern idea. I remembered that she was working on a shrug that seemed to be taking her forever. Since the yarn was cotton and it was summer and the swatch was to my gauge (not hers) and it would take me like a few days to knit this thing. I told her I would do it. I looked at the skeins of yarn that she gave me and realized she probably didn't have enough. I happened to stop by the Yarn Co. on the upper west side and wow! they were having a sale on this exact yarn (1 year later? strange but fortuitous). I bought what they had and immediately started knitting the sweater. It was going to have at least 6" of 2x2 ribbing around the bottom. So knit 2, purl 2 I did. Now, as we all know, cotton stretches. It loses it's shape, it droops. My S-I-L is extremely particular about how things fit. Usually the preferred fit is snug. No loosey goosey clothes. She hates them. Won't wear them. And I definitely didn't want to waste my time making something that wouldn't fit. So the next time we got together I said "hey, let's check the sweater". Since I knit cardigans all in one piece I was able to put the sweater-in-progress on some yarn and wrap it around her. OF COURSE it was too big. Well the gauge was dead on but because of the 2x2 cotton ribbing it was going to grow and grow and grow and ultimately be WAY TOO BIG. So there I was with 6" of a l. front, back and r. front not needing any seeming or anything. Just the top halves. And since I had purchased a ton of the pink yarn I decided that the smartest thing to do was just start another sweater on smaller needles and leave this one alone to be dealt with later. That's exactly what I did. I whipped up this sweater for her. I took every inch of ease, growth, stretch and drape out of it. There was nothing that blocking could do for it. Luckily it fits! She happened to come over last night and I saw it on her for the first time and took these pics. I think that maybe it needs a little reinforcement at the bust. I think I'll add a see through snap between the two buttons where it is pulling. But all in all, I think it's really cute. AND...all I had to do was pick up and knit the other sweater. Now all I need to do is finish the collar. After seeing this one I think the collar looks super cute. Maybe I'll do that? To be continued.






That brings me to the cashmere from yesterday and my big idea. Well I cast on and worked the r. front, back and part of the left front. I'm working tonight so I think I'll for sure finish up the body tonight!! I'll take some pics tomorrow. Or tonight when I get home. It's a pretty cool design so far. We'll see where it ends up!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home