Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Phew, I'm pooped!

So the elevator was fixed just in the nick of time! And the furniture got moved in. The movers were awesome. Really. None of this Schleppers or Moishes mentality. Just good, clean, nice movers. What a concept! What a pleasure! They showed up 45 minutes early (huh???!!!) and bam the furniture was in. And VERY reasonably priced!!

The rest of the day was spent ORGANIZING my apartment. God is that exhausting. Particularly when everyone hates you for doing it!! I felt like the general. And there was some serious grumbling among the ranks. Oh well. Everyone will be happy when it's all back together again and we can all find our things. I have 4 huge shopping bags full of yarn that I'm going to donate to school. I have a ton of clothes that will be donated to the Holiday Fair. I have boots, I have shoes, I have bags, I have furniture, I have toys. I have so much stuff to get rid of it's outrageous. I HATE clutter. Living in NYC makes you a little clutter crazy. Space is at a premium. Granted, I have a lot of space according to NYC standards. I have like a suburban size space. The problem is the more space you have, the more space you fill up. It's like the Blob! Stuff just fills in all of the corners. One minute it's quiet, empty, calm and the next it's full of something. Anything. It makes me nuts!

Later....during Weeds...I helped a knitter pal out with her Juno from the latest Rowan mag. We had to yank out some rows but she got back on track and is moving along. I hope she can finish it in time for uh, the holidays?

Unfortuately, I am NOT moving along. I swatched some cashmere. Just to see what the gauge was like (4 st"). I loved the feel and drape and color. So I thought about making something. Anything. I looked through mags and books. I looked through stitch patterns. Nothing. I finally decided on a pretty shawl. I was going to base it on the Triangle shawl from the latest Rebecca. But adding something fabulous around the edges. I cast on the required 263 sts. Worked the first 5 rows of the chart. Then I read the directions. Oops. I was supposed to purl the first row. Should I frog? I would tell everyone else to frog. So I frogged. Actually I ripped out. I again cast on 263 sts. I purled the first row and moved on to the the chart. I worked the first 18 row repeat. Hmmm. What is that odd looking hole back there on row like 2? or 3? I knit another few rows. No really, what is that hole? Can I live with it? Will Anyone but me notice it? OMG......I put it away. Went to bed. Got up. Thought about the shawl. Did a little work in my apt. Went out....brought the shawl with me. On the subway ride home I did it. I pulled the stupid shawl out. Much to the dismay of a woman sitting across from me. She never pulls out her projects apparently. Hmmm. Whatever.

The good news is that I had a great idea for a sweater. I guess I'll be casting on later tonight. Maybe during Smith. It's a cardigan. Of course I'll be making the body in one piece. Why doesn't everyone do this? All lengths are the same. When it's done, it's done. Sleeves, a button band and a collar. Bam. Finito! Well, that's the way I do it. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Now for that excellent bottle of wine I picked up on the way home...and some fine cashmere!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Pat said...

Yipee!!!!! You've got a blog. Isn't it easy? Don't you just love rambling? It's so therapeutic. Can't wait to see the furniture. See you next week.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home