Friday, October 13, 2006

AKD Membership Completed!!

I finished my AKD membership. I sent an email to Shirley MacNulty to get the 411 on where to send this beautiful thing off to...I'm kind of excited about it. I feel really silly but I am. I sure hope I get in. OMG, now I'll be thinking about the what if's for like 8 weeks.

Well, anyway something I can check off my to do list.

Wow, you can really get a lot done when you're not under the gun of knitting deadlines. My life completely stops when I am designing. I get into this very strange head space. Like I almost shouldn't be around people. It's weird, I know. But that's how I work.

Someone asked recently on the Yahoo Designer list if people love or hate to write patterns. I like to write patterns that are size appropriate. I don't like to write patterns to fit every body type. I would prefer to design a size appropriate garment and create like one size on either side of what I designed. It is weird to me to design a sweater for a 52" bust and then have to write all the sizes down to a 30" bust. I think it really ruins the integrity of the design. I think it would be better to design two separate sweaters with inclusive design elements. Even on Project Runway this season (!!!!) the designers were stumped on the Everyday Woman episode. The project was speaking to proportion in design. You can't just cookie cutter xs to xxl. It's wrong. One of the sizes at the end of the spectrum won't work. It depends on which end was designed for. On PR, they design for very small bodies so for them to design plus size, well, ouch. Did you see Jeffrey's design? As Laura says, Serious Ugly! And he's really good. So how can knitwear designers keep the integrity of their original design inspiration and grade the sizes up or down? It baffles me every time I have to do it. Of course I do it because everyone wants to be so PC but if you ask me it doesn't work. I think a lot of + size people are just not knitting the patterns because they know their bodies and know that most of the designs aren't flattering. (That's why the Big Girl Knits concept is so awesome!) I think there should be more + size designs in commercial knitting mags. Like even a separate section. I mean isn't the average american woman a size 14 or something? I know it's expensive to devote pages to something specific like that but I think there is a gigantic market out there for it. Don't you?

So, anyway, I love writing patterns but I hate grading them. Not because of the math but because of the sillyness of it.

Just my 2 cents.


Off to work. It's gonna be a crazy one!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Pat said...

You are awesome.......you will totally be accepted and the 8 weeks of worry will put you right at the holidays.....Merry Christmas!

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home