Thursday, May 24, 2007

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Programming

Now that I've delivered the three projects to VK, I can get back to the Tom Scott production pieces. Woo hoo! Tom is so sweet he sent me the nicest spreadsheet of all of the gagillion pieces that I'm to knit. How thoughtful! Just kidding. I'm actually ok with all of the knitting. I kind of have it down as to how long each piece takes to knit. I'm going to try to work from the biggest (longest knitting time) to the smallest (least knitting time) that way it's like I'm working downhill. My summer of knitting. The fun thing is that I'm meeting with him next week to begin his spring '08 line. FUN! I can't wait.

In my Tuesday sewing class I finished the major portion of my dress. I'm not really interested in this dress. I only made it because I was waiting for another pattern to arrive in the mail (which it never did and I'm now in a dispute over). Here it is. I've added some trim to the empire waistline. Obviously I have to trim it and clean it up. I have to hem the sleeves and the bottom. I plan on wearing this over leggings or pants. The armholes are a little small. I mean they'll work but I'm just not loving this thing. It was a teaching pattern. I learned that I don't like it.



Since I wanted to finish up the VK pieces in a hurry I relegated the golf shirt to subways only and maybe a little at work. Not bad, huh?



I think I have about an inch to go before I divide for the armholes. Then I'll start the icord placket and finally add the collar. Not so much left! I think I'll make my deadline. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the ribbed bottom. I might turn it under and make a hem. I'll see what it looks like after the blocking. When I blocked the swatch it became really solid. It seems like it actually got firmer top to bottom. Weird for cotton/linen. So I'll decide that later. I like the ribbing because I'm going to do the same at the end of the sleeves. It would be nice to have it in both places. I just don't want it to flip up. I'm 80% sure that it won't but I'll have to wait and see...

I've been asked about how I knit so fast. Well, I think it has to do with muscle memory, determination and time. Because I work at night I have a little routine that I do in the morning. I usually get up around 8. Sometimes earlier. I have my coffee and turn on the morning news and knit until around 11. That's a solid 3 hours of straight knitting time. If I'm on a deadline I'll just keep knitting. I have great subway time too. It makes commuting super easy because usually no one bothers me and I generally have the seat next to me free until there just aren't any seats left. People are mildly intimidated by the flying needles! The determination is key. There are lots of times where I want to not be knitting but I just push through and get it done. I'm a little weird that way.

I knit both ways but when I'm seriously knitting and want it to look absolutely perfect, I throw. My knitting and purling are the same so I'm proud to say that it looks almost machine knit. My only problem is that sometimes I knit too fast which causes some tension issues. Those issues are usually smoothed out during blocking but when the piece HAS to look amazing I try to go a little slower.

I just love knitting. I don't know what to do with myself when I'm not knitting. Sometimes my apartment suffers but I usually get to the point where I just start cleaning everything out. Kind of like getting rid of my stash. I'm really trying to clean it out. My knitting has changed over the years and I want a different stash. I'm not buying yarn until I get it cleaned out. I'm going to continue to list my yarn on Destash, Craigslist and ebay. I want it gone. If those avenues just don't work I'm donating it to schools in the fall. End of story.

That's it for now. I'm heading out of town on Saturday and I'll be bringing a shopping bag full of yarn with me. Nothing like a little production knitting at the beach! Have an excellent holiday weekend if I don't blog before I leave.

1 Comments:

Blogger joshua said...

Hey, very impressive! So nice to have found this blog of yours, so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home