Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Smarter than a 5th grader?

Uh, no!!

Tell me how this is possible:

Swatch #1
With size 6 needles cast on 4o sts. Work in k2, p2 rib for 36 rows

It measures in at 5.5" x 5.5"
Which equals 7.25 sts" + 6.5 rows"

After Blocking
It measures in at 8.5" x 5"
Which equals 4.75 sts" + 7 rows"

Swatch #2
With size 8 needles cast on 40 sts. Work in k2,p2 rib for 21 rows (I was lazy)

It measures in at 6.75" x 3.5"
Which equals 6 sts" + 6 rows"

After Blocking
It measures in 11.5" x 3"
Which equals 3.5 sts" + 7 rows"

HOW CAN MY ROW GAUGE BE THE SAME.

AND, CAN I BELIEVE MY SWATCH???

I am a firm believer in the swatch. I usually end up getting a tighter gauge than my swatch so I account for that in my math.

But this swatch information is really important on this project.

I knit about 2.5 yards of k2, p2 rib yesterday. I was switching to smaller needles to incorporate shaping. However, I forgot to check my larger gauge. So I got up this morning did a swatch and found out that my row gauge is EXACTLY the same. I find this extremely hard to believe.

If it's right then all the angels in heaven are singing if it's not my cute little jackety sweater is going to become a coat!!! WAY TOO LONG. Crap. Crap. Crap.

Probably the only way to find out is to finish up the back (10 more inches - or not) block it and measure it. I don't know what to do. I could start on the other project that has it's own problems or just plow ahead according to the swatch and hope and pray for the best.

Or I could have my sewing lesson in a half an hour and panic that the cute little dress that I'm making for an unassuming sweet girl won't be finished by friday evening for the dance. And she'll have nothing to wear and I'll be the worst person on the planet. Crap, crap, crap. I have to put the zipper in today. Crap, crap, crap!!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS STUFF!

I LIVE FOR THIS DRAMA!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

I hate swatch stress. I always find that larger pieces invariably end up with different gauges than smaller swatches. Sorry I can't offer useful advice... what is the composition of the yarn again? Wool is best for trusting swatches, silk and cotton are worst.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home