Thursday, March 15, 2007

What's going on in NYC?

I was at work last night and a couple came in all feaked out because they couldn't get downtown. The police had blocked off basically the entire center of greenwich village. It was the 3rd night in a row that the cops had been in a scuffle. Apparently a gunman shot and killed a pizzeria worker. I heard that he shot him 15 times in the head (could be a rumor)It's unbelievable how fast the cops on duty responded. Super freaky. 2 auxiliary cops (the kind without guns) were shot and killed in the scuffle along with the shooter. 4 dead. ack.

Anyway, I made this scarf last night at work. It's a third of the way done. Maybe a little bit more. I'm making it to match a hat for someone. I hope (hope) it's the right color. I'm using a new yarn called Boho by Berocco. It's pretty cool. Very drapey. It changes finishes every little way so not only does it subtely change colors but it also changes reflectiveness. It's very interesting. I'm also combining it with Soft Kid and Gatsby. The fabric that's coming off the needles is very light. It has some gold flecks in it from the Gatsby which snazzes it up a llittle. and the soft kid just holds it all together. I'm really pleased! oh, I'm using an open stitch. it can be opened up more lattice like or when it's draped it looks more solid. Interesting!!





I made 4 hats the other day. These hats will go in Tom Scott's collection. So they are in the same Eco Wool as the rest of his collection. I just didn't have anymore of the other colors so I had to use some of the yarn from my Love sweater. (I think I'll still have enough for my sweater!) The hats look kind of kooky in a toque kind of way. They are big and floppy in the crown. The fabric hangs to one side to give a sort of groovey, 70's feel. They look cute on...no so cute here!





I've also finished the Knit Simple sweater. It turned out very nice. I'm not crazy about the yarn. I meant to write up the pattern last night but ahem didn't. So I MUST DO IT TODAY!!

I realize that I have a very plain jane style when it comes to knitting. I love nothing more than a well fitting sweater made out of super luxe yarn in some basic stockinette. That's not to say that I don't enjoy embellishments but I'm not into busy yarn. It's really interesting to see where you fit in as a designer. What you turn to time and again. What speaks to you and what makes you cover your eyes. It's fun to see what changes over time and what remains the same.

Oh look, 70 degrees yesterday...snow tonight and 33 degrees and then maybe 3" of snow tomorrow night. yikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home