Wednesday, November 22, 2006

check!

Manly Man sweater is blocking. Actually, I'm not exactly blocking it. I've washed it in cold water on the delicate cycle. Now it's just drying - no pins. The color stinks in this photo. It is a beautiful heathery milk chocolate. It fits perfectly. I lowered the neckline so that the 5:00 shadow wouldn't fray the yarn. Sleeve length...perfect. Body width and length...perfect. YAY!!!!



Next up...I stopped at the Yarn co. yesterday and bought some yarn to make Sloane from Yarnplay for a christmas gift. The pattern called for Rowan Ribbon Twist with a gauge of 2 st". I didn't want to use that but needed to come up with a bulky yarn. I bought 3 yarns and held a strand from each...Rowan Soft Baby, Koigu and Louet mohair. I totally love the fabric that these 3 yarns made. It was like knitting with cotton candy. It's super lightweight, soft and pretty. Since I ususally design my own stuff it was really nice to just sit down and start knitting. I didn't even do a gauge swatch! (Not true, I knit up the back as my gauge swatch and then decided to reknit on smaller needles.) So I just started knitting the pattern without reading through it. How complicated could a v-neck vest be? Really? Well I don't get why this pattern was written this way. I mean it looks very simple but the pattern assumes a lot and leaves a lot of things up to the knitter. NOTE TO SELF: keep patterns clear, understandable and simple (when possible). Since it took about two hours to knit, I think I'll probably make another one following my own design. I'll definitely do it in the round. It's supposed to be short and sexy...why side seams until you really need them? Anyway it was a little disappointing to find out that the pattern was poorly written. I'll have to look at the other patterns to see if they are equally vague.



I turned in the revised top for Knit.1 earlier in the week. I think it was much better than the first. So we'll see if they use it. They were shooting in Miami this week. It sure would be nice to see my work shot in the sunshine! I have to rework the pattern over the weekend.

I also picked up the other project I was working on for Vogue. I guess they shot it and now I can finish it up over the weekend. It's still really gorgeous!!

I've been reading through my Weldon's Practical Needlework books. (I have all but 2 volumes!). I'm looking for a lacey pattern for the Silken Straw. I think I found a couple. I'll be swatching tonight at work, hopefully! They are written in such a funny way. I love these books!! I need volumes 2 and 5 if anyone knows where I can get them!

That's all for now. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home