Friday, April 18, 2008

Shoe Dilemna

I work in a pretty fancy restaurant. Fancy in a relatively casual way. It is after all located on the lower east side of manhattan...

I am required to wear a uniform. It looks something like this:


It's basically a black wrap dress with 3/4 length sleeves. Depending on the size (I have xs, s, and m) the length varies between high mid thigh to knee. And the wrap varies between barely wrapping to super wrapping. I therefore wear my jeans (dark) underneath the dress most of the time because at any given moment I can be found in a not so girly position behind the bar...leaning, stretching, leaping, bending, etc. Sometimes I'll wear tights or leggings but I always feel kind of exposed due to the body moves required.

Up until last week I've been wearing my Ed Hardy sneakers. I was totally aware that I wasn't supposed to be wearing them. Black non sneakers shoes were the required uniform. I just hated wearing my boots or flats or whatever. They were uncomfortable. I don't sleep well and my shoes make a huge difference in how I sleep. So I took a chance.

Unfortunately, it came down the other day that I couldn't wear my sneaks anymore. Yesterday I went to one of those feet healthy shoe stores and bought a few hundred dollars worth of shoe options.

First, the obvious restaurant shoe. But in patent leather!


Wow! cute, huh? The only problem is that they are a size too small. I mean they fit but are snug. I'm going to wear them tonight and see how they work out. I mean, they are good for my feat, right? Ugly but healthy!

Second:



Ballet flats. Of course I've tried ballet flats before. I probably have 5 pairs of black ballet flats. They are a funny thing. They feel good up until you accidentally drip simple syrup on your bare feet and down into the shoe. Then they start sticking to your skin causing all kinds of discomfort! These are French Soles. They feel really great. Absolutely no support whatsoever. We'll see.

Third:


Some seriously ugly! Crocs! UGH. But hear me out. They are light. Sort of supportive. Probably good for the summer and I can just hose my feet off if that annoying simple syrup gets anywhere near them, right?

ok, finally #4:



Check these babies out! I'm thinking these will work ONLY when I work with another bartender. A time when I don't have to run around so much. I sort of stay at one end of the bar and do my work from there. Surprisingly, these are VERY comfortable. Plus I get a little height. Obviously the simple syrup issue remains. But I was feeling slightly nostalgic and bought them.

One of these options BETTER work. I'm really sad about the sneakers. They were PERFECT. But I'm willing to adhere to the rules and give all of these a try.

YES I'VE BEEN KNITTING!! no i can't show you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home