Monday, December 21, 2009

Not much to see



Well, instead of writing the pattern last night I decided to stay up and watch Mission Impossible 2. Don't ask me why!

So this morning I grabbed my size 6 circulars and cast on the guesstimated # of stitches. I didn't want to waste my time with a gauge swatch so I listened to the ball band did a simple multiplication task and came up with the hypothetical # of stitches to cast on.

An inch or so into the knitting I grabbed my gauge reader and realized I was about 3.75" too narrow in my circumference. Hmmmm. I got out the 8 circs and continued on. I'm now at gauge (I think). I've decided that if the bottom inch is too snug I'll just snip those stitches off and knit down from where the 8's started. SIMPLE! FAST! If the recipient loves that the bottom goes in a little and keeps the sweater down then that's awesome too.

I'm thinking that I don't have enough yarn. I'm almost finished with one ball and I think I'll have about 3.5" (maybe 4") per ball. I'm guessing I'll need about a ball and a half per arm which will leave me with 7 balls for the body... 7 x 3.5 = 24.5". If I could get closer to 4" per ball then I should have just enough. For now I think I'll keep knitting.

I hate ribbed cuffs and ribbed sweater bottoms. I hate that the sweater goes in under the belly and creates this weird shape. I much prefer a jersey roll where it's that same circumference as the rest of the sweater body. This sweater will definitely go in at the bottom. I'm kind of interested to see what it looks like. I'll probably hate it though!

Off to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home