Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Stainless Steel Yarn

When I was at Habu yesterday I bought this:



I had them wind it on 2 cones because I new I was going to double it. Each cone is 2 oz . I can't remember the yardage but it's on their website. So I can look it up there. I have no idea what I'll make with it but last night I did a little swatch. I used size 4's and knit up some stockinette. It's a pretty interesting fabric. It's 69% silk and 31% stainless. It's stiff and soft at the same time. I'll have to come up with something super cool to make...




I've swatched a few yarns for the cashmere sweater redo from yesterday. The one on the left is aurora 8. I love it but I think it should be doubled to give it a more substantial fabric. I'd really like to use cashmere. I know that School Products has some (I've used all of their cashmere in the past!) but only their really bulky cashmere is squishy soft. I was recently on a cashmere kick and was a bit disappointed in the softness of some of their yarns. However, I'm stopping by there today just to check it out before heading down to Purl to pick up the Jade. I mean you can't beat the price. But for this I need something really special. Cost isn't really an issue.





And look a sweater! How did that happen? I started this at the end of the summer but had to toss it aside when the Soho Pub folks called. I was cleaning up under the Wurlitzer last night and found it. I only had 6 rows left on the second sleeve and the neck to finish! So here it is. I bought the yarn at the Suss closing sale. It's 100% cotton and cost $1.00 per skein. I'm not sure how many skeins this took but it was made for definitely less than 10 bucks. wow! I think it's the cheapest thing I've ever made. The neck looks a little funny but it's actually ok. I think I didn't pull it all the way down in the back on the dress form. sorry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home