Monday, December 04, 2006

Just Another Manic Monday

Silken Staw....



Silken Staw. One skein. One week (or was it 2). It blocked beautifully. It's about 50" long by about almost 10" wide. I'm going to be adding about 6" to each end. That will make this baby about 62ish". Perfect. I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I was really not loving it but in the end silk is silk and it's got it's reputation for a reason. I cannot recommend this yarn. It is really tedious but quite beautiful. You need to know what you are doing to work with it. This should totally have a warning label on it!! Not for the feint of heart!!

I started out thinking this was going to be a really snappy shawl but couldn't find the right pattern and didn't have it in me to design one. Then I looked through my amazing Weldon's and found this ancient pattern. Pretty simple but looks great. I thought hmmmm, I'll make a double sided scarf and slip a piece of silk in between the 2 layers and sew around the edges. But that wasn't going to work out. I felt that the fabric would detract from the lace. I don't know, it might have worked but I decided against it. Then I didn't know what this was going to be....Now, after washing and blocking and staring at it....Hold on...Wait for it....I think it's going to be a table runner? WHAT? No really. It's screaming TABLE RUNNER. I don't ever use runners. I never think about them. I don't even know why it is screaming at me but there it is....a table runner. Maybe because it's from Weldon's and lace runners were the rage? I don't know....

Next up...

My sis-in-laws custom sweater. I've been begging her to send me pics or describe a sweater that she would like. Nothing. I couldn't get it out of her. After a while I just decided I wouldn't bother with it. If she got back to me cool, if not, cool. Well, we were talking the other day and she started telling me about her favorite sweater. It's a few years old. Cashmere. Getting a little worn. But it's her favorite sweater of all time. I asked her to send it to me and I would recreate it. Here it is....



It's a one button cardigan. Japanese inspired. The bottom flairs a bit. The sleeves are slightly belled. and there are hems all around. The collar can either stand up or fold over. It appears to be about 6-7 sts". Your basic dk or lite dk weight. I understand why this is her fave. I love it too. I can't wait to get started. I have been to Purl, The Point, Downtown Yarns, Knitty City and the Yarn Co. oh and Habu. I can't seem to find the right yarn. I had some elann baby cashmere in my stash and made a swatch. Then I made a swatch doubling it. It's much better doubled but the yarn is shit. Very inconsistent. I'm going to go back to Purl to check out the Jade cashmere. I was at Habu this morning and picked up some silk/stainless steel. It's amazing. I'm going to make a swatch and hope for some divine intervention on what fabulous thing to make with it. wait, the sweater...They had a lace weight merino that was incredible but not enough in stock.....damn. I've sketched it out. I'm ready to go.....arrrrggghhh!!!

Ding Dong...Fed ex just delivered a box of blanket remnants from the mill. I just threw one in the wash. I can't wait to see what happens!!!!! They only had a brick red color available but I actually like it!!! I have big plans for this stuff....More on that later.

I went to P&S first thing this morning. The line was so long yesterday. I didn't really need anything but wanted to go and pay my respects so to speak. It was pretty empty. I was surprised by how much stock was still available. I picked up some embroidery thread, another chibi and Denise interchangeable needles (which I totally and completely don't need). I also picked up those super cute stork quilter's scissors. but that was it. It is terrible that they are going out of business just because they sold the building. If there is one thing about NYC that I really don't like it's gentrification. The same thing happened to Paragon restaurant supply on Bowery. Like the greatest place for all your kitchen needs. Gone because they sold the building. It makes me sad. Really, really sad.

Blanket remnants tomorrow!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

Have you tried School Products in NYC. About 2 years ago I went there and they have designer left overs of yarn. They might have what you are looking for and in cones.

Another option but pricy, would be something from the Classic Elite yarn company. They are going for the luxury market and you might find something there.

Lastly there is always WEBS. My personal downfall. www.yarn.com. review their website and see if they have what you want. Then call them about what they could recommend. I find them very helpful.
You could also try knittersreview and see if they have reviewed any yarns that are similar to what you are looking for. Something that just occurred to me is Louet yarns. They have several lines one of which is a merino in several weights. It is stunning.

Patty in cold Baltimore

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home