Thursday, December 14, 2006

Cashmere Sweater Redux

As I was saying, I finished the left front. Here it is blocking. On the left of the photo the markers show where I changed needle size. Beginning at the bottom I started with size 8's, then changed to 7's, 6's and finally 5's. I worked approximately 2" then worked a turning row and continued for another 2". I turned the hem and caught the cast on edge with the next row creating a perfectly even hem!! On the center front, I then cast on an extra 2" of sts and worked these with the rest of the stitches all of the way to the neckline bind off. Once all shaping was finished, I took a scap yarn and ran it up the st that marked the hemline. I then ran another scrap yarn 2" into the front. You can see these in the photo. I then stitched the hem. I've left them in while blocking until all pieces are completed. Once I do the final blocking of all pieces I'lll then steam the hems really flat. I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I was still a little concerned about the size. It seemed slightly smaller than the original sweater.



But as you can see, it turned out perfectly. I'm soooooo pleased! You can really see the center front hemline in this photo. When I blocked it some of the hem stitching pulled out so I'll have to double the yarn when sewing the remaining hems. I tried using only one strand but the yarn is so thin and delicate. Speaking of the yarn, I really am impressed with it. It holds up and it blocks incredibly well. I guess I'll start the back so that I can seam up one of the sides. I'm so impatient!




While I was at work last night I made this. I originally designed it for Lion Brand. You can see it on their website under Elegant Scarf. I changed a couple of things but it's pretty much the same. I just have to weave in some ends and it's done! I keep changing my mind as to what people are getting for christmas. I think this will be for someone.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home